The Institute was founded on 13 March 1947. The aim was to start a school for deaf children in the North. The first school that was established, was Transoranje School for the Deaf, on 16 August 1954. It became clear, however, that the Institute would also have to establish schools for children with other disabilities.
Since the inception of the first school in 1954, the Institute has been supporting the schools financially and enabling thousands of children with disabilities to receive education of an exceptional quality. These children come from all over the country and many of them reside in the hostels at the schools. There are 1 794 learners at this stage (white 54,41%, black 40,75%, other 4,84%).
The Institute functions independently of the five schools and supports the schools financially by making quarterly contributions to the schools for assistance to the underprivileged child. This is an essential service since many of the parents cannot meet their financial obligations to the schools, which puts the schools’ budgets under immense strain.
The management committee of the Institute consists of three members who are responsible for the day to day management. The executive committee (decision-making authority) consists of members of the management committee, principals of the five schools as well as one representative of each school’s governing body.
The members’ meeting that takes place annually consists of representatives of the founder members, namely the three Afrikaans sister churches, the management committee and one representative of each school’s governing body.
The Institute has only one full-time functionary, namely the executive officer, who is responsible for the total administrative, financial and fundraising function.